The Pre-Paid Legal Fund has assisted many Union hotel workers and their family members since services were initiated in 1987. The program provides legal services to all active and retired members through a closed panel of attorneys throughout the country.
Call: (212) 586-6400, ext. 4258
The Pre-Paid Legal Fund covers matters including:
- Consumer issues
- Purchasing a home
- Credit issues
- Landlord / Tenant matters
- Child custody
Like many of our other benefits, the Pre-Paid Legal Fund has attained an unqualified success that has caused it to serve as a model for similar legal plans instituted by many other unions and employers. Funding for this benefit is through contributions by participating employers. The Board of Trustees of this Fund is responsible for monitoring this benefit.
Below is a list of legal services that are available to eligible members and their dependents:
- Social Security Disability Benefits and Veterans’ benefits application disputes,
Reconsideration, appeals and other related administrative proceedings
- Consumer protection, that is, representation in a legal action required for the
Purchase of goods or services for amounts greater than $5,000.
- Defense of a lawsuit for the collection of a debt based on a contract or written
Instruction for amount greater than $5,000.
- Real Estate or landlord/tenant matters, including lease negotiations and renewals, and
Representation in housing court (coverage applies to members (as well as their eligible
Spouses and dependent children) who are tenants).
- Purchase or sale of a primary residence, transfer of property, mortgage refinancing or
Home equity loans.
- Wills and estate planning, including medical and other powers of attorney, living wills
And contested will litigation.
- Probate and administration of estates, covering the member’s estate or the estate of
Others, for which the member is appointed administrator or executor.
- Motor vehicle violations, including driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, or license