Can I remove a spouse or dependent from my coverage?

Dependents can be removed or “disenrolled” due to losing an eligible status as a dependent under the plan, including divorced spouses, young adult children who have reached age twenty-six, a recent move outside of the tristate area/country and other special circumstances. For more information, please contact the Benefits Department at 212-586-6400 or call the Members Experience Department

How do I change my address?

Your address can be changed:

  1. Online through your Patient Portal Account ( or
  2. By filling out a demographics update sheet at any of our Health Centers or
  3. In person at the Central Administration Office (305 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036 – 4th Floor)

One of the following original documents will be requested for in person changes, and for those moving between boroughs or states. Original proof of residence includes a valid original driver’s license, state-issued ID card with photo, utility bill*, and lease or mortgage statement.

*Gas, electric, cable/satellite TV, internet service, or landline phone bills are acceptable as utility bills; however, cell phone bills cannot be accepted.

How do I change my phone number?

Our Patient Experience Advocates at the Health/Dental Centers can make these changes for you at any time if you complete the demographic update form, or you can make the change on your own using your secure account at  So that we can keep you aware of appointment changes and openings, please make sure your contact numbers are accurate, and we know the best time to reach you. Thanks!

Staff at the Central Administration Office (305 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036 – 4th Floor) can make this change for you as well in person, not by phone for security purposes.

I just got married, how do I update my name?

This is an important change that can be done at our Central Administration Office (305 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036 – 4th Floor), with proof of the change.

An original marriage certificate must be presented for name changes after marriage.

I need to correct the spelling of my name, how do I do it?

This is an important change that can be done at our Central Administration Office (305 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036 – 4th Floor), with proof of the change.

Changes due to spelling correction may be made by confirming the spelling on the member’s original enrollment card, a current driver’s license, state-issued ID card, passport, Green Card or change of name form from the INS/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

NOTE - An original court order must be presented for any other type of name changes, including adoptions or change of name due to personal choice.

Member name changes must be made with the Union. For requirements, please contact Local 6 or a local affiliated with the New York Hotel Trades Council at (212) 245-8100 or visit 707 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY.

How Do I Correct My Date of Birth?

An in-person correction can be made to a date of birth on record by visiting the Central Administration Office at 305 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036.  Please bring an original birth certificate or court order noting the correction regarding the birth certificate.

How do I remove my ex-spouse from my health coverage?

Within thirty days of a divorce, you can present an original court-ordered final decree granting divorce to the Central Administration at 305 W. 44th Street, New York, NY 10036.

How much money do I receive for eye care?

You start off with $200 per person on your health plan per year for eye care, which covers prescription eyeglasses and a prescription eye exam.  If you do not use that money for one year, it rolls over to the next year for a maximum per person of $400. 

Do I have Health Coverage / Am I Eligible?

When you begin working, the medical to go see the Health Center doctors start immediately.  For Hospital visits, it takes about 60 days to kick in.  To be eligible each month, you must make 56 hours per month to be eligible for the next month. 

Does The Union Cover The 20% That Medicare Does Not?

Once you retire, if you are eligible to sign your Medicare Pt. B over to the union, we do not cover the 20% that Medicare does not.  We become the Part D plan ONLY which is the prescription drug plan. 

When I Retire Can I Continue Visiting the Health Centers?

You can visit the Health Centers if you are eligible as per your Pension Type.  When you are close to retiring, please call the Pension Dept. at 212-586-6400 ex. 4125 regarding Pension Questions.

Where can I use the prescription debit card?

You can swipe and use the Prescription Debit Card in the Health Center Pharmacy only. 

You can use the card at an outside location, for reimbursement for eligible medical necessities.  You would pay first by any means you have, then use the “Connect Your Care” App to submit a claim, download the form here and submit directly to Connect Your Care for reimbursement.

Do I need to apply for Medicare, if I am still working?

You do NOT need to apply for Medicare Part B if you are still working in a union hotel, making the requirements to remain eligible for health benefits.  When you are ready to retire, and stop working - 1. present the “Last Day of Work” notice you receive from your employer, to the Retirement Services Department at the Central Administration Office at 305 W. 44th Street, NY, NY 10036; and 2. Go to the Members’ Experience Department to discuss your options for health coverage, and the important deadlines to make your decision regarding Medicare.

I just retired and my prescription debit card (health reimbursement card) was declined, why?

Unfortunately, retired union members no longer working in the industry are not eligible to use this benefit.  Any balances on an existing card, will not be available after retirement.

How do I add someone to my health plan and who can I add as a dependent?

For spouses: Marriage Certificate and Social Security Card

For Children: Birth Certificate and Social Security Card

For Domestic Partners: Please give Eligibility a call at 212-586-6400 ext. 4116 to receive the packet or you can come into the office at 305 W. 44th Street, New York, NY

When Do My Benefits Start?

Your benefits start as soon as you enroll with us.  Health Centers start immediately while Hospital visits begin after 60 days.

Where Can I Go For Dental For Out Of Area Coverage?

Out of Area Coverage is only eligible for MEDICAL purposes. For Dental, you can only go to one of our Health Centers.

How Does Eye Care Work?

For Eye Care, you receive $200 per year.  If you do not use it for 2 years, you have $400 dollars.  You can go anywhere to get your eyes checked out, buy prescription glasses and you will submit the Receipt of Payment, The Prescription, and the Eye Care Form to our location or you can bring it in to us.

When Does 401K Enrollment Start?

401K enrollment changes per year, there are 2 enrollment periods per year.  The first one begins right after Memorial Day and lasts until June.  The second begins right after Thanksgiving and lasts until December 14.  If you have any questions regarding 401K, please call the Pension Department at 212-586-6400 ext. 4125

How Do I Enroll For My Benefits?

You must come in to the Central Administration Office to enroll for your benefits.  This is what you need to bring with you:

Photo ID

Members must show a valid, original driver’s license or state ID with photo.

Social Security Card

All persons being enrolled must show their original Social Security Card.

Getting a Social Security Card

Visit your local Social Security office or for an application to get a Social Security card. For members employed in Midtown, there is a Social Security office located at 237 W. 48th Street, New York, NY, fifth floor. For other offices, go to You will need to bring certain documents with you. For more information, call toll free 1-800-772-1213.

If you cannot get a Social Security Card

You can also enroll with an Individual Tax Identification Number from the IRS. You will need to complete their W-7 form and show certain documents.

Marriage Certificate

An original marriage certificate must be shown to enroll your spouse. This is in addition to an original Social Security Card.

Birth Certificate

An original birth certificate or original adoption papers must be shown to enroll each child. This is in addition to an original Social Security Card.

Proof of Address

If your state-issued photo ID does not list your current address, then an original utility bill, lease or mortgage statement must be presented. Gas, electric, cable/satellite TV, Internet service, or landline phone bills are acceptable, but cellphone bills cannot be accepted.

Where Do I Pick Up My Prescriptions?

You MUST pick up any and all prescriptions at one of our Health Centers. If you see a doctor during evening hours, or on the weekend and need prescription medication – ask your doctor to write two (2) prescriptions for you:

  1. The 1st prescription should be written for an initial or partial supply to supply you for at least two (2) days. This small quantity prescription should be filled at a local pharmacy, but you are responsible for the cost of this prescription.
  2. The 2nd prescription should be written for an additional supply of medication to complete the course of treatment. This can be filled at one of our Pharmacies, under your prescription drug benefit, with lower co-pays for generic medication.

Can I Sell, Assign or Pledge My Rights to Benefits Under the Plan?

No. Benefits cannot be sold, assigned, pledged or used as security for a loan. Under most circumstances, your benefits are not subject to attachment by decree of a court or otherwise. However, if the Fund receives a proper “Qualified Domestic Relations Order” (“QDRO”) from a court it will have to abide by that order and pay benefits to the specified alternate payee such as your spouse, former spouse or children. When the Plan receives a proposed QDRO, the Fund Office follows specific procedures required by federal law to determine if the domestic relations order is qualified. The Plan also has a model QDRO that is available to participants and their attorney. If you have any questions about QDROs, you should contact the Fund Office.

Can a Pre-Retirement Surviving Spouse’s Pension Be Directly Rolled Over From This Plan?

Yes, but only if your surviving spouse elects to have his or her Pre-Retirement Surviving Spouse Pension payable in a lump sum. In such a case, your surviving spouse may authorize the Plan to directly roll over the present value of the benefit into an Individual Retirement Account (IRA), a 403(b) tax-deferred annuity, a 457-deferred compensation plan or another qualified pension plan within a certain time period. If your surviving spouse does not elect to directly roll over the benefit, the lump sum distribution will be subject to mandatory 20% federal income tax withholding. A surviving spouse who is eligible to receive a Pre-Retirement surviving spouse pension will receive additional information from the Fund Office on “eligible rollover distributions” if he or she elects a lump sum payment.

May I Roll Over Monies into this Pension Plan?

No. Rollover contributions may not be accepted into this Plan since individual accounts are not established for any participant.

Is the Amount of My Pension Benefit Subject to Maximum Limits?

Yes. As a qualified Plan, your pension benefit amount may be limited to certain maximum benefit provisions prescribed by IRS regulations. Few Plan members may be affected by these limitations. If you are affected, the Trustees will notify you in writing.

Can The Plan Be Amended or Terminated?

Yes. While the Board of Trustees intends to continue the Plan, the Board of Trustees reserves the right to amend, modify, discontinue or terminate the Plan, when it considers these actions necessary. However, no amendment can decrease the benefit which has already been earned by you.

Can My Pension Benefit Be Subject to Benefit Increases?

Generally, the amount of your pension is determined by the provisions of the Plan in effect when you “separate” from Covered Employment. You have separated from Covered Employment on your last day of work in Covered Employment which is followed by (A) a One-Year-Break-in-Service or (B) the first day of the month as of which your pension becomes payable, whichever is sooner. However, if you have not yet retired on a pension, separate from Covered Employment and then return to Covered Employment and earn additional Pension Credits, the Plan provisions under which your pension will later be calculated will depend on how many additional Pension Credits you earn following your return to Covered Employment.

If you return to Covered Employment following a separation and earn less than three Pension Credits, only your additional Pension Credits will be applied to the Plan’s monthly benefit rate in effect on your last day of work in your most recent period of Covered Employment. The portion of your benefit earned before your separation will be determined under the provisions of the Plan in effect on your last day of work in your prior period of Covered Employment.

If you return to Covered Employment and earn an additional three or more Pension Credits, all your years of Pension Credit will be determined under the provisions of the Plan in effect on your last day of work in your most recent period of Covered Employment.

If you are a Pensioner who remains in or returns to Covered Employment and earns additional Pension Credit, this additional Credit will be applied to the Plan’s monthly benefit rate in effect at the time you again leave Covered Employment. If the Plan’s monthly benefit rate has increased since the date as of which you originally retired, only your additional Pension Credits earned after that date will be applied to the new, increased rate. If the total of your additional Pension Credits earned after you originally retired, plus the Pension Credits you had earned up to that date are in excess of 40 (25, in the case of Participants who separated from Covered Employment prior to July 1, 2001), then the more recent Pension Credits in excess of 40 or 25, as the case may be, will be “traded” for older Credits if they are more valuable – that is, if the more recent Credits are eligible for a higher monthly benefit rate. The time at which your benefit will be recalculated will depend upon whether or not you have reached your Required Beginning Date.

Will I Still Be an Active Participant if My Employer is Sold or Merges with Another Employer?

If your Employer is sold, merges or changes company identity, you will remain an Active Participant in the Plan as long as the successor company is bound by a Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Union and is required to contribute to the Pension Fund.

Do Social Security Benefits Reduce My Plan Benefits?

No. Your Social Security benefit, paid to you by the United States government, is in addition to any benefits you receive under this Plan. Likewise, your pension payable under this Plan is not reduced by your Social Security pension benefit.