Your Rights Under ERISA

As a participant in the New York Hotel Trades Council and Hotel Association of New York City, Inc., Health Benefits Fund, you are entitled to certain rights and protections under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). ERISA provides that all participants shall be entitled to:

  • Examine, without charge, at the Fund Office and at all other specified locations, such as worksites and union halls, all documents governing the Plan, including insurance contracts and collective bargaining agreements, and a copy of the latest annual report (Form 5500 series) filed by the Plan with the US Department of Labor.
  • Obtain, upon written request to the Administrator, copies of documents governing operation of the Plan, including insurance contracts and collective bargaining agreements, and copies of the latest annual report (Form 5500 series) and updated summary plan description. The Administrator may make a reasonable charge for the copies.
  • Receive a summary of the Plan’s annual financial report. The Administrator is required by law to furnish each participant with a copy of this summary annual report.

In addition to creating rights for Plan participants, ERISA imposes duties upon the people who are responsible for the operation of the employee benefit Plan. The people who operate your Plan, called “fiduciaries” of the Plan, have a duty to do so prudently and in the interest of you and other Plan participants and beneficiaries. No one, including your employer, your union, or any other person, may fire you or otherwise discriminate against you in any way to prevent you from obtaining a welfare benefit or exercising your rights under ERISA. If your claim for a welfare benefit is denied in whole or in part, you must receive a written explanation of the reason for the denial. You have the right to have the Plan review and reconsider your claim.

Under ERISA, there are steps you can take to enforce the above rights. For instance, if you request materials from the Plan and do not receive them within thirty (30) days, you may file suit in a federal court. In such a case, the court may require the Administrator to provide the materials and pay you up to one hundred ten dollars ($110) a day until you receive the materials, unless the materials were not sent because of reasons beyond the control of the Administrator.

If you have a claim for benefits that is denied or ignored, in whole or in part, you may file suit in a state or federal court. (However, please follow the instructions described earlier in the guide, which provides for a claims review procedure that must be followed before you may file a suit.) In addition, if you disagree with the Plan’s decision, or lack thereof, concerning the qualified status of a medical child support order, you may file suit in federal court. If it should happen that Plan fiduciaries misuse the Plan’s money, or if you are discriminated against for asserting your rights, you may seek assistance from the U.S. Department of Labor, or you may file suit in a federal court. The court will decide who should pay court costs and legal fees. If you are successful, the court may order the person you have sued to pay these costs and fees. If you lose, the court may order you to pay these costs and fees if, for example, it finds your claim is frivolous.

If you have any questions about the Plan, you should contact the Administrator. If you have any questions about this statement or about your rights under ERISA, you should contact the nearest office of the Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration, US Department of Labor, listed in the telephone directory or the Division of Technical Assistance and Inquiries. You may write to them at:

Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration
US Department of Labor
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20210